Tags are keywords defining a specific characteristic of the word. Each one may refer to things like:
- Dialect from a specific region of Japan.
- Field of application like anatomy-related words, business-related words, etc.
- Information regarding the kanji, like irregular writing, use of outdated characters, etc.
- Miscellaneous information about the word, like if it's a colloquialism, a rare word, a surname, etc.
- Grammar information about the word, like the part of speech.
- JLPT level of the word.
A tag may be specific to the whole word or just to a particular reading or meaning. If that's the case, it will be specified in its section.
A list of all the available tags can be found in the tags section.
The Japanese language has three different alphabets:
- Kanji: Ideographic alphabet of Chinese origin. Every character represents an idea or concept.
- Hiragana: Phonetic alphabet used mostly in combination with kanji.
- Katakana: Phonetic alphabet used to represent foreign words, places, onomatopoeias, etc.
If the word is represented in kanji, the reading section shows how this word is read.
Words having multiple readings will be ordered by popularity.
Furigana are the smaller kana characters, printed over the kanji to indicate their pronunciation. If the word has one or more kanji characters, its furigana will be written on top of them.
Transliteration and pitch accent
There is also the transliteration written in kana (hiragana or katakana) and romaji (using the Hepburn method).
The transliteration can also contain the pitch accent representation for the pronunciation of this word. In some cases, the same word may have different pitch accents, and sometimes the pitch accent depends on the part of speech of the word. If that's the case, it will be represented beside it.
Words indicated by the symbol have computer-generated audio that can be listened to by clicking on it.
Translation of the selected word to several languages.
A word can have one or different meanings. For each meaning, one or more equivalents of the Japanese word will be presented in English or other languages.
In the case of having multiple meanings, they will be ordered by popularity.
Some translations may have tags associated giving miscellaneous information:
- Part-of-speech information
- Information about the field of application
- Information about the source language if it's a loan word
- If the meaning is associated with a specific dialect
There may also be links to similar, related or antonym words.
English is the main language for the translations, but some words will also be available in other languages: Dutch, French, German, Hungarian, Russian, Slovenian, Spanish, or Swedish.
The quality of these translations may vary. In case of discrepancies the English translation will prevail.
How to write
How to write help
There are some generic rules to write kanji properly, specifying the order on which each stroke should be written, and although there are some exceptions, these rules apply most of the time.
This section represents in a visual way the stroke order of each kanji that composes the word. The animation can be stopped, at any time and each step can be manually advanced.
Icon Description Reset the animation Move one stroke backwards Play animation Move one stroke forward Show stroke order If checked, shows a number besides each stroke representing the order on which it should be writtenNot available for this kanji.
Kanji in this word
Kanji in this word help
Analysis of the kanji ideograms which are part of the word.
Clicking on the kanji will get you to the kanji information page, with more information about the kanji.Advertisement
- JMDict ID: 1104570
- JMdictDB entry
- Short URL: https://jpdct.com/ENq6